Our Parish

Good Shepherd Parish was established on August 16, 1978 to encompass the area south of Stony Plain Road and west of 170th Street.

Our original parish list indicated the presence of 109 Catholic families living west of 170 Street. Our first Mass was offered in the gymnasium of St. Justin School and we remained there for over a year while the chapel in St. Benedict school was being built. 

We moved into our new chapel during Advent of 1979 and almost immediately needed to add to add a third weekend Mass in the chapel. Our new chapel had a capacity of just over 400 and was full at every Mass.

In 1985, plans were developed for a new parish facility, which would provide both a place of worship and a hub for parish communal life for over 1100 families. Ground was broken in August,1986 at 184 Street and 60 Avenue, the geographical centre of Good Shepherd Parish. The church was officially opened and blessed by Archbishop Joseph MacNeil on October 12, 1987.

Since building the new church, we have already expanded our parking lot to accommodate our ever growing parish family which now has 2600 registered families.

Good Shepherd Parish is proud of our history of caring and involved religious leadership:

  • Father Leo Hofmann joined us July 2019
  • Father Marc Cramer served us from August 2013 - July 2019
  • Father John Reddy was our Pastor from August 2009 - August 2013
  • Father George Neumann was our Pastor from Sept. 2001 - August 2009
  • Father Leonard Gartner served from August 1993 - July 2001
  • Father Richard Bednar served as Pastor from June 1988 - August 1993
  • Father John Hamilton (Father Jack), the founding Pastor, served from 1978 - June 1988.


Father Leo Hofmann

Nativity Scene Photo by Rosemary Lee